Tuesday, October 8, 2013

God is not a "sir." (Chapter 5 - The Story: The 10 Commandments)

I didn't always feel this way, but I don't like it when my kids address me and say, "yes, sir."

As I grew up and even in my normal interactions with those whom I consider my elder and those for whom I have respect, I address them as "yes, sir" or "yes, ma'am."  It's an appropriate and even a good way to address those whom we respect.  But when I heard my kids respond to me with a "yes, sir" I cringed just a little bit.  I'm glad they address their teachers in that way.  I'm glad for them to address a police officer in that way.  I'm glad for them to use Mr. and Mrs. in their regular conversations with adults.  But I don't want to be a "sir" to my own children.

See, I'm trying (and failing) to pattern the fathering of my children after God's fathering of me. And God isn't "sir" to me, nor does the Bible present him that way to us.  God is our Father, the almighty Creator.  God is our Redeemer, our Savior, Christ, our brother.  God is our Counselor, the Holy Spirit of God.  He is all those things.  He worthy of our honor and respect.  But he is not "sir" to us.

For me "sir" calls to mind images of servitude and maybe even slavery.  It calls to mind pictures of fear and terror.  It calls to mind fearful obedience not free service.  And that's not what our relationship with God is like.  He has invited us to walk in a relationship with him.  In fact, not only has invited us into that relationship but he has created a way for that relationship to exist through Jesus.  Yes, he has even created that relationship with us by giving us faith by the work of the Holy Spirit.

That changes everything for me. As God brought the Israelites out of Egypt, he brought me out of bondage to sin, to death, to the devil's power.  As God brought the Israelites through the waters of the Red Sea and so rescued them from Pharaoh's arm, so God has doused all the flaming arrows of the Evil One with the waters of my baptism.  God is my Father the one who loves me.

And that's what God called to mind for Israel as they gathered at the base of Mt. Sinai:  Exodus 19:4 'You yourselves have seen what I did to Egypt, and how I carried you on eagles' wings and brought you to myself. 5 Now if you obey me fully and keep my covenant, then out of all nations you will be my treasured possession. Although the whole earth is mine, 6 you will be for me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation.' These are the words you are to speak to the Israelites."

God had already created a covenant relationship with his people through the promises made long ago to Abraham, to Isaac, to Jacob.  They walked in a covenant relationship with God - but not because they deserved it or had done a thing.  So, here, God makes sure his people already know that they, by his grace, walk in a covenant relationship with him.

And then, then he gives them the 10 Commandments.

God gave his people - and us - the 10 commandments not so that we could get into a relationship with him, not so that we could stay in a relationship with him.  No, our relationship with God is totally grace.  No, God gave us the 10 Commandments BECAUSE we were in a covenant relationship with him and as a Father he wanted to bless us and guide us as we walk with him in this relationship.

Yes, when we stumble and sin, God hates it.
Yes, God hasn't taken back the simple, clear statement: "The soul who sins is the soul who will die" (Ezekiel 18:4).

But for you and I - who know the good news of the saving work of Jesus, who walk in a relationship with God through faith, who have been brought into this relationship with God, we walk in freedom and joy - as the psalmist says, "I love to run in the paths of your commands for you have set my heart free!" (Psalm 119:32).  God is not a sir to us.

And that's why I cringe when my kids call me sir.  I'm not saying you're wrong if you want your kids to address you as 'sir' or 'ma'am.'  But here's what I want and pray as I father my kids.  I want to reflect and show my Father's love to my kids.  I want them to know that I'm their dad regardless of their obedience or disobedience, just like God does for me.  I do long for them to respect and obey me as we walk together toward heaven.  But not because I'm "sir," but because I'm "dad."  God grant that to us as we walk with our Father until we join him in heaven.

For the Sunday School teachers: 
There are a lot of ways to approach this section of God's Word and the challenge is this, even in just studying the 10 Commandments we have far more than can be covered in a 45 minute lesson.  Help the kids imagine the setting and the scene in chapter 19-20.  The scene and image is fearful and terrifying, yet at the same time when the people tremble God says, "Don't be afraid."

Perhaps, a focus on the first commandment can suffice here.  God demands that he is the only God in the signs he gives his people around the mountain; God commands that they have no other gods; but then they go and do it anyway when they worship the golden calf.  We studied the first commandment for three weeks at AF Kids - challenge the kids to see if they know it AND the what does this mean? (Do you know it?).  We've been doing the second command for the last two weeks - can they do that one?  The meaning is harder for that one.

Have fun with this one.  The sights and sounds on Mount Sinai and then afterwards are amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment