Friday, October 18, 2013

Bonking? Fill up.

Last weekend I spent some time watching the Hawaii Ironman Championships.  They were streaming it live!  I only watched the last half of the marathon, but it always amazes me to watch these athletes and then to think about the planning and preparation that they've got to go through.  Someday... at least on my bucket list, I'll qualify and then go to do that race.

One of the things that I've learned about endurance racing is the need to eat and drink throughout the race.  Early on in my marathon racing I'd drink very little and eat only at the very end.  I used to think that I didn't need to drink anything if I was running anything under 90 minutes.  But here's what happened - at least, as I look back: I bonked!  It didn't matter what the race, but almost always at the end of a marathon, somewhere around mile 20-21 I'd just crash and have no energy.  Why?  Because suddenly my fuel for running had to come from body fats instead of from the sugars in gels or energy bars.  I bonked because I didn't have fuel in the tank.

It strikes that this is what happens to me as I serve my family, my church and my community.  I used to always think that I needed to cut back my activities (and maybe I do).  I used to think that the reason I'd get burned out was because I was doing too much (and maybe I was).  But it strikes me that the problem wasn't with the activities but WITH ME.

I mean look at Paul.  He was constantly on the move.  He taught people God's Word by day and made tents by night.  One night he preached all night and then went on a road trip when the sun rose.  If anyone was too busy with too much going on, I'd say it was him.  Yet, Paul - even in prison - overflowed with joy!

Or look at Jesus.  His ministry was one of constant movement.  Just take his activities on a Sabbath day as Mark tells the story. Jesus taught in the synagogue in the morning.  He went back to the house of Peter's mother-in-law where he cared for her.  When night came, the whole city came to her doorstep.  So, Jesus tired as he was went out to a mountainside to pray...but the crowd chased him down even there when he tried to relax in the arms of his Father and pour out his heart to him.  Another time, Jesus wanted to take his disciples away to rest after their missionary journey. Didn't happen.  A crowd of 5000 found out where they were and wanted Word service and food service.  Yet, Jesus - even when he and his disciples were exhausted - always served with joy.

When I'm tired, when I'm getting burned out and worn out, when I'm bonking in my service to God's people, the problem is with me.  And the same is true for you when you're bonking, when you're getting tired and burned out.  The problem is with you.

And maybe part of the solution is to cut back in some of the activities that you're doing.  It's good for us to remember the truth of God - we're not the savior of the world; the world won't fall apart if we don't get to this or that; it doesn't depend on us!  It depends on God and his power, his mercy, his love.

And that, dear family, is the solution.  When we get tired, burned out, and begin to bonk we're often depending on ourselves to get it done, to bring success, to figure it out.  But it doesn't depend on us.  It depends on God!  He's our Father who promises to care for us, to love us.  He's our Savior who did everything - and I mean everything - to rescue us from sin, death, and hell.  He's our Comforter and Guide - who will teach us everything and remind us of everything Jesus said.

The solution is REST, but not necessarily rest from work.  REST from working to save ourselves.  The good that we do in Jesus' name can't save us.  Our salvation is already won and done; won and done for us by the life and death of Jesus.  Of this there is no doubt.  God loves us and is pleased with us for the sake of Jesus and not because we've worked so hard or because we've done the right thing.

There is REST from working out of fear.  Sometimes people will jokingly ask me, "What are you running from? I only run from dogs."  We're not running from anything.  Satan has been crushed.  All our sins have been forgiven.  The total debt for all our sins has been paid.  There is nothing for us to fear!  Our salvation is sure and certain!

There is REST from working to save anybody else.  It is true that God has made us to be his chosen people, holy and pleasing to him.  It is true that God has called us to be his witnesses wherever we do and whatever we do.  It's good for us to get out there and tell people, invite people, comfort people. It is important for us to work.  BUT, it's not on us to work faith in their hearts or to save them.  The real work, the hard work, the saving work is God's to do.  And wonder of wonders, he let's us be part of the way he does it!

Are you bonking?  Fill up. Fill up with the good news about the saving work of Jesus.

Colossians 3:15 Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. 16 Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts. 17 And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

No comments:

Post a Comment