Friday, February 28, 2014

Getting ready for Sunday - Witness: Crossing Barriers.

February is black history month.  Our students and our kids are focusing on some of the important figures throughout history who have impacted and changed the world as they crossed racial barriers that once impacted our country.  USA Today asks the question: Is it still relevant?  I'll leave you to answer that question from your own experience.

On my part, I can tell you about my experiences with this.  Just a little over ten years ago, I myself was witness to how ugly racial tensions can become in our country.  Angry words exchanged.  Fires started.  It was ugly. Racial tensions were hot and heated.  But I haven't just had negative experiences.  I've experienced and still do experience great joy in relationships with people of all kinds of different backgrounds, races, colors, even languages.

But here's the question for us as we wrap up our series on witnessing: What is the Christian church to do about the barriers that exist?  What is Abiding Faith to do about it?

Before we can look closely at those questions, we need to answer two other fundamental questions clearly in our own minds and hearts:

What has God done about it? Simple answer: He sent his Son to die for all people of every race, language, tribe and nation.  God's Son crossed every barrier between people's that every existed!

What is God doing about it? Simple answer: He is overcoming the barriers that exist with the love of Jesus and the power of his Word.

This Sunday we learn from God about these very things as he teaches Peter and the early Christian  to cross barriers. We're going to study Acts 10:34-48.

As you prepare for Sunday I want you to ask yourself this introspective question: What biases and barriers do I have in my mind? Are they cultural? Are they economic? Are they religious? Do I have "issues" with people because of their color, their language, their social status, the religion?  What are the "issues" that I have with other people?

Then come ready to let God help you get over those "issues."

No comments:

Post a Comment