Sunday, November 17, 2013

We will stay.

Dear Family and Friends of Abiding Faith,
As you perhaps know I received a divine call on October 27, 2013  to be the pastor at St. Mark Lutheran Church in Salina, KS.  The leaders at St. Mark and in the Nebraska District gave me a clear picture of St. Mark, it’s hopes and its dreams.  As some of you noticed from my descriptions of the congregation and the city, I was and continue to be excited about the opportunities they have.  I was led to give thanks for so many different reasons.  Most importantly I give thanks that they know and trust their Savior.  By God’s grace through faith they will be standing around the throne of God in front of the Lamb praising him day and night.  They have a strong desire that God’s Word would be shared among them and in their community.  I also give thanks for their outreach zeal, which you know I share.  Though they are challenged as a small congregation in a smallish city, they have been bold in their outreach, starting a pre-school and taking on other aggressive efforts.  There is much to be excited about regarding the opportunities God is giving his people in Salina - a city of 50,000 souls.  In many ways, I am drawn to the challenge of reaching people in this community!
For many reasons, I also give thanks to God for you, my Abiding Faith family.  Most of all I give thanks for the faith that we share.  When Jesus returns we’ll get to stand firm and stand tall together before the throne of God.  One family!  Together!  Forever.  We’re a forever family through faith in Jesus.  And that is exactly what you are to Ruth and I, along with our kids.  You welcomed me in as a pastor still wet behind the ears and walked with us these last ten years.  We have shared many joys and just as many sorrows.  You loved me even when I frustrated you.   More than that, I also give thanks that we have worked side by side to develop a ministry plan that is exciting and inspiring.  Though we face challenges as a congregation reaching out into this community, that has not dampened your zeal or excitement.  More and more I see your desire to grow up in your faith, to grow together with your fellow believers so that you can support each other as we walk through life, and to reach out into the diverse, multicultural community into which God has planted Abiding Faith.  You have taken hold of the ministry which God has entrusted to Abiding Faith.
As I look back at the last 10 years (at least, almost!) at Abiding Faith I am in awe at God’s grace and mercy.  In spite of me, God has blessed my family and his church during our time here in Fort Worth.  Your comments and encouragements honestly left me on my knees in praise that God has used my time here to bless his flock.  I can’t believe that God would use me as he has!  Now, I am counting on his continued grace and mercy into the future because I have decided to remain serving here at Abiding Faith and to decline the call to St. Mark.  This much is abundantly clear to me: my heart is still with you and my desire to reach our community is still strong.  We have work to do!
I look forward to moving ahead with confidence at Abiding Faith under the shepherding of our Good Shepherd.  Ruth and I look forward to raising our children here.
I humbly ask for your continued confidence in me as your pastor.
I ask you to join me in the work that God has given us to do at Abiding Faith, to be involved in the ministry of Abiding Faith both as a recipient and as a servant.
I, for one, am thanking God that I get to serve you and our Lord here at Abiding Faith and in our community!
He is risen!

Pastor Nate

2 comments:

  1. Dear Pastor Bourman,

    I can only imagine the struggle you had with this Divine Call. The family at Abiding Faith also had to struggle with the possibility of losing their Shepherd. For their sake, I’m glad you decided to continue your Ministry there in Fort Worth.

    I know that the congregation at St. Mark Lutheran lost an opportunity to receive a caring soul in you, but I also pray that they find a Pastor to match their specific needs. The Call process reminds us that our time on earth is limited, and that we should never take our Called Shepherds for granted.

    God bless you with peace in your decision, knowing that you are exactly where He wants you right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. May You, God the Creator, Lord of heaven and earth and the Savior of all nations make His redeemed, Abiding Faith Lutheran Church an eternal blessing to those whom You, Lord, will gather to this blessed temporary fellowship and to His eternal permanent fellowship in His own House.

    ReplyDelete